Summer is here & so is the COVID-19. But what exactly does this mean? Looking at current weather & current situation, all we need is something hydrating & which can help boost our immunity. Summers bring with them lots of seasonal fruits which are not just tasty but healthy too.
And surprisingly, melon is the answer.
With high water content and a punch of Vitamin A & C, the melon is rich in fiber & has almost no fat.
Absolutely !! Melons are not just refreshing but have plenty of health benefits to offer. So, I made a smoothie of muskmelon adding ingredients that made it, even more, tastier & nutritional.
A glass of muskmelon smoothie has only 181 calories, yet the drink is so filling that you can easily replace your breakfast with this & hey, it just takes 10 minutes to prepare.
Benefits of MuskMelon
Here are some health benefits of Muskmelon, before we jump to the recipe:
- Immunity booster: Musk melons are super-rich in Vitamin C; they facilitate the increase in WBCs which helps in destroying viruses & bacteria
- Regulates blood pressure: The adenosine in musk melons has blood-thinning properties which automatically reduces the risk of heart ailments.
- Good for Skin & hair: Musk melon is a rich source of antioxidants which helps in removing impurities from skin & the fruit also has a protein called collagen which helps in rejuvenating skin
- Digestive system: Fruit has high fiber & water content which makes muskmelon fruit to be consumed if suffering from constipation or any digestive system problems.
- Rejuvenates lungs: Muskmelon is a rich source of Vitamin A. Smoking and pollution depletes Vitamin A in the body & apart from Vitamin A, nutrients available in Muskmelon reduces the congestion in the lungs.
- Weight loss: Fruit contains close to zero fat, isn’t that a brownie point for people who want to lose weight
The secret sauce to a tasty smoothie is to use nuts & seeds while replacing refined sugar with jaggery for an added taste.
Too lazy read ? Here’s a quick video for the recipe to get you going.
The below recipe prepares two servings in 10 mins with just an hour of freezing and has only around 180 calories 🤩
- Skimmed Milk – 250 ml
- Musk melon – ½ Kg
- Almonds – 3
- Walnuts – 2 halves
- Flax seeds – 1 tsp
- Jaggery / Natural Sweetener – 1 tsp
- Chia seeds – ½ tsp
- Peel the musk melon & remove all the seeds
- Dice it roughly into small cubes
- Take 2 almonds, 2 walnuts, 1 TSP flax seeds & ½ TSP jaggery in the grinding jar & make powder out of it.
- Add diced muskmelon, milk & above mixture in the juicer jar
- Blend for 2 minutes to make smooth mix
- Pour into a glass, add ½ TSP Chia seeds & 1 sliced almond
- Refrigerate it for 1 hour & you are good to go 😋 😋
Pro Tips 😎
- As the recipe is recommended for weight loss, Jaggery can also be replaced with honey or sugar-free
- Add banana in spite of Jaggery if you are considering fruit only recipe.
And here are some stats for calorie counting nerds 😜
|Milk||71||5.5 g||8 g||1.2 g||–|
|Musk melon||43||0.8 g||8.8 g||0.5 g||2 g|
|Almonds||16||0.5 g||0.3 g||1.4 g||0.3 g|
|Walnut||14||0.3 g||0.2 g||1.4 g||0.2 g|
|Flax seeds||9||0.3 g||0.5 g||0.7 g||0.5 g|
|Chia seeds||8||0.3 g||0.7 g||0.5 g||0.6 g|
|Total Calorie||181||7.7 g||23.4 g||5.7 g||3.6 g|
(in daily intake)